Inspired by the fact that the Pioneer Woman calls shrimp “shrimpies” like me, I decided to throw caution to the wind and to make her shrimpie quesadillas. I had a sick boyfriend on my hands and lots of groceries due to the fact that we are trying to be more contentious about going out to eat, so I picked up some NyQuil for the boy and went home to cook!
Her recipe is quite easy, and the only trouble I ran into was the flipping of the quesadilla but I remedied that by making half quesadillas at a time. I adapted it slightly to use what I had on hand.
Cast of characters:
- 1 bag of peeled, deveined frozen shrimpies, thawed
- 1 can of enchilada (red) sauce
- 1 green pepper
- 1 onion
- mexican blend shredded cheese
- whole wheat flour tortillas
- sour cream
- olive oil
Now for the schedule of events:
- Thawed the shrimpies and threw them in a bowl with the enchilada sauce
- Chopped up the onion and green pepper
- Laughed at the boy who was wandering around my apartment in my
leopard printSnuggie that was held together in the back with chip clips
- Threw some olive oil in a skillet and turn it on high until it was smoking
- Threw the veggies in the skillet – disclaimer: do this carefully or you’ll burn yourself with hot oil splatters. Heed my advice.
- Cooked them briefly until they turned brown/black
- Removed them from the skillet and set aside
- Threw shrimpies into skillet and cooked until they became opaque
- Removed them and chopped them into smaller pieces
- Added butter to the skillet and added a tortilla
- Placed shredded cheese, veggies and shrimpies on of the tortilla (and then added more cheese)
- Placed a second tortilla on top and flipped
And BAM! There’s a tasty shrimp quesadilla waiting to be smothered in sour cream and salsa.